GÜLPINAR FISHING HARBOUR

Ayvacık – Çanakkale – Turkey

GPS : 39°33’58.1″N 26°05’47.0″E / 39.566140, 26.096400

VHF Channel : 16
Call Sign : ” gulpinar harbour ”

Main Breakwater Lighthouse
GPS : 39°33’56.9″N 26°05’47.4″E / 39.565809, 26.096494
Focal Plane : 10 m ( 33 ft ), Tower Height : 8 m
Character : G.FI. 5.0 Second, Flashing Character : 1,0 + 4,0
Visibility Range : 7 nautical miles

Inner Breakwater Lighthouse
GPS : 39°33’53.1″N 26°05’49.3″E / 39.564761, 26.097033
Focal Plane : 10 m ( 33 ft ), Tower Height : 8 m
Character : R.FL.5.0 Second, Flashing Character : 1,0 + 4,0
Visibility Range : 7 nautical miles
In Gülpınar there is also stock breeding and businesses based around olive production. Gülpınar olives are as prized as their cheese and yoghurt. Nowadays in olive business, the villagers are persuaded more and more towards organic agriculture. The olives are grown organically and the olive oil is extracted organically.

Gülpınar is a small town situated 90 km away from Çanakkale on the Dardanelles. It is located at the most westerly tip of the Anatolian mainland, right across the sea to the north of Greek Island, Lesvos. Overlooking vast olive groves it is situated at the skirts of a mountain right at the cape of Babakale.

The inhabitants earn their living mostly by olive agriculture (which is soap, organic olive and olive oil) and animal farming (mainly for cheese production purposes). The village is part of the 700 years old Ottoman settlement in the region. It is 3 km away from a long beach and 20 km from the ancient Greek settlement of Assos.

Capacity : 200 Boats

Breakwater
Outer Breakwater : 568 m
Inner Breakwater : 200 m

HARBOUR FACILITIES
Electricity
Drinkable Water
Fuel
Slipway
Fish Market
Slideway

Administration : Gülpınar Municipality

CITY FACILITIES
Shopping : Stores, Shops, Markets
Accommodation : Hotels, Pensions, Rental Houses
Dining : Restaurants, Buffets, Cafes
Communication : Post Office, Phone, Internet
Health : Hospital (Ayvacık), Health Center
Hair dresser
Beach :
Special Shopping : Olive, Olive Oil, Soap, Cheese
Local Market :
Historical Site : Hamaxitos, Apollon Smintheus Temple, Assos

FISH RESTAURANTS
As it is positioned at the crossing point between Marmara and the Aegean, according to the season you can get several fresh fishes. You can sample fish in the village. There are a few fish restaurants in the village.

FISH AND SEA PRODUCT SPECIES LIST OF THE AEGEAN SEA

TUZLA KÖYÜ
The village of Tuzla is four kilometres from Gülpınar and, apart from having geothermal resources that have yet to be properly developed it is also interesting for its 700 years long past. The Hüdavendigar Külliyesi (Complex) was built by the Ottoman Sultan Murat. Today the mosque and one chamber of the school building remain. Besides the example of civilian architecture Tüzla also has another interesting characteristic, the extracting of salt from a water spring coming from the foothills of the neighbouring mountain.

HAMAXITOS
The temple of Apollon Smintheus mentioned in the first chapter of Homer’s IIiad is also located in the province. Some remarkable relics and findings from the temple are today exhibited in the Archaeological Museum in Çanakkale. It might be wondered how the colossal columns of the temple were put together and joined, for they are quite incredible. And also who massacred the innocent inhabitants and destroyed their homes without leaving a single stone upon stone.

For an explanation of the onslaught which the local inhabitants once witnessed, the architrave’s frontal relief’s offer us clues. The Greet army while marching on Troy sacked the whole region then kidnapped the girls and women. One of the abducted girls was Chryseis, daughter of Chyrse, a priest of Apollon Smintheus. Relief’s at the museum on the site depict the events that took place.

The distraught priest made an urgent application with gifts to Agamemnon, the Greek chief, in order to obtain the release of his daughter. But he received to satisfaction. So the furious Apollo whose priest was so badly treated sent a pestilence of mice onto the occupying Achaean Army. A fatal epidemic broke out among the Greek troops and killed many off them. Agamemnon immediately tried to appease Apollo with the sacrifice of animals in order to calm the god’s vengeful temper.

Finally the girl was released. The mice which had established themselves in the area however, become quite a pest and caused great damage to thee crops. In desperation the inhabitants prayed to Apollo to take pity on them and made sacrifices. At last, Apollo destroyed the mice and the people were saved.

APOLLON SMINTHEUS TEMPLE
The Apollon Smintheus Temple is on the Southwestern tip of the Biga Peninsula within the province of Çanakkale and located in the town of Gülpınar, previously known as Külahlı. In geological terms the region is a volcanic plateau. It is at a site called Bahçeleriçi at the foot of the valley starting Northeast; northwest of the town. As it is fed with an underground water source, this locality is rich in water and it is probable that by means of underground channels formed in ancient times water was transported to the temple site.

The plentifulness of water here is a symbol of Apollo culture because in the Hellenistic age when the temple was built, the god Apollo in oracles always felt a need for water. This must therefore be the reason for the temple being founded on this site. While on his way from Cape Lecton (Babakale) to Alexandria-Troas in 1785, Jean Baptiste Lechevalier saw the remains of the temple and made the Apollon Smintheus Temple known to the world of archaeology for the first time.

In 1853 the British Admiral R N Spratt, who was making a map of the area, while going from Tuzla to Gülpınar reached the ruins of the temple based on information from local people and came across it in the location of Öküzbaşı. Spratt saw that the building belonging to Apollo was an important sacred place constructed in lonic style. By means of an inscription on the temple precincts, he informed the scientific world that the temple belonged to the Smintheus Mouse Culture.

Following Spratt, R P Pullan came to the area in 1861 and decided to excavate. Excavations started in 1866 and he worked at the temple through October and November, carrying out this work in the name of the Society of Dilettantes. We have little information about who came to the area after Pullan. Schliemann, when mentioning Külahlı-Gülpınar village, calls it Post-Homeric Chrysa.

Later on, at the beginning of the 1900s the visits of Leaf-Hasluck in the Troas- Çanakkale region supply us with reliable information about the history and geography of the Troad. After the first excavations done in 1866, the temple was forgotten for a hundred years. The temple was again rediscovered with the research of H. Weber in 1966.

Between 1971 and 1973 Çanakkale Archaeological Museum made soundings in the area. From 1980 up to the present day, the excavations, soundings and restoration work at the Gülpınar; Apollon Smintheus Temple and surroundings have been continuing.

TRANSPORT
Gülpınar – Ayvacık 52 km, Çanakkale 121 km
Bus : Babakale – Ezine
Minibus : Babakale, Gülpınar, Behramkale, Ezine
Airport : İzmir Adnan Menderes International Airport, Edremit Airport, Çanakkale Airport

Places of interest

Rate and write a review

Coordinates

39°33'58.1"N
26°05'47.0"E

Address

Ayvacık, Çanakkale, 17860 Ayvacık/Çanakkale, Turkey

Charter offices